Monday, March 7, 2011

The School

I am currently taking part in a course that allows me to tutor at a local high school. The high school that I tutor at is not an ordinary high school. This high school is an alternative high school called a Performance Learning Center, also referred to as the PLC. The PLC that I tutor at is called Classic City High. The typical classroom is set up with computers lining the wall where the students do their work.
The classroom has a teacher, but she is not necessarily teaching. The students are at their computers working on on a class through a program called e2020. This is an online program that allows the students to work by themselves in their subjects. They are able to work on their own and at their own pace, although they do have target points that they should be meeting. The students are still required to take the same standardized tests just like other students in the public school system in the state, but they do not have the same classroom setting. The classroom has a different air about it. The environment is much more relaxed because the students that are in the program are generally there by choice.
The staff seems to be very helpful. When I was in the office waiting to be assigned a student to tutor, the receptionist was more than happy to helpful to the students that walk in. All of the people involved with the school seem to be more than willing to help anybody who needs assistance.
The school is located in the middle of a neighborhood. Based off of looks alone, I would say the neighborhood is on the lower end of the socioeconomic status chart. The school itself is a pretty small school with just one main hall. There is usually an officer that is in the school. That was nothing out of the ordinary to me because we had an officer in my high school as well. I was not at all intimidated by the school or the students. I have tutored several times before and had to work with students that had backgrounds unlike mine.
My background would probably be considered the "All American" high school type situation. I was an honors student that played softball and tennis. I graduated 4th in my class with a 4.0. I would consider my family to be middle class. I am given things that I need not necessarily all of the things that I want.
In comparison to the students that attend Classic City High, I enjoyed the regular public high school. Many of the students that are at Classic City are there because they do not like the typical curriculum set out in the traditional public high schools.
I am going to be tutoring students that are different than me and hopefully will be able to help them along in their high school career,as well as learn a few things from them in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment