Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reflections from my first day


Day one: ( February 7)
Today I went to Classic City High for the first time. Ms. Mimi assigned me to a girl who was named Riley. She had started the program a few weeks into the semester so she was behind on the assignments already. The program that the students use is basically a self taught program. They have slide shows that go along with a lecture given by an instructor on the computer. In the classroom the teacher offers a chance to have group time. This time entails the teacher going over what the students are currently learning in their program. This is different though because it gives the students a chance to ask questions and participate in a real classroom setting. When group time was offered, Riley jumped at the chance to take part because she said that she learned better when the teacher could explain it to her.
Once she began working with the group I was assigned to work with a different student named Dylan. Turns out that Dylan is the same age as me, 20, and only has 5 credits left to finish before he can get his diploma. I got to spend more time with Dylan than Riley so I learned a lot more about his background. Dylan told me that the reason he was not on track and at the same place I was in my life was because he had gotten into some trouble with the law that ended up with him having to spend a year in jail. This blew my mind. He said that he had literally been out of jail for three weeks and was now back in the program to finish. I asked him if he had attempted to continue going to school while he was in jail since he had already been enrolled in the Classic City high before he had went to jail and he told me yes he had. Unfortunately he was moved around a few times and spent time in different jails so that he was unable to take the test for his GED. Instead of just giving up once he got out of jail he said he wanted to go back to school since he only needed five more credits to graduate. He is now ahead of the program in certain subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment